5 Steps to Take after a Bicycle Crash
Bicycle accidents can be harrowing incidents, and frequently involve serious injury when cars or trucks are involved. The chaos immediately following a crash can lead people to make mistakes that come back to haunt them when it comes time to make an insurance claim.
The first and foremost concern you should have after an accident is for any potential injury. If you are seriously hurt, it is imperative that you seek medical attention immediately, even if it comes at the expense of properly documenting the accident.
How to Proceed
In situations where injuries are not life-threatening, it is prudent to make sure that you have done everything in your power to help ensure your insurance claim or lawsuit can go forward smoothly. Follow these steps:
- Wait for the police to get there. Never walk away from an accident with a phone number and a promise from the at-fault driver, even if you do not think that you are seriously hurt.
- Make sure the accident report contains your version of events. At at-fault motorist may try to obscure the truth in the accident report, so it is vital that your point of view be represented in the accident report.
- Gather contact information. Make sure you do not leave the scene of the accident without the insurance information, driver’s license number, name, and license plate number of the driver. If possible, get contact information for any witnesses as well.
- Document the events. As soon as possible, write down an account of the accident and record all of your injuries.
- Seek professional advice. Before you speak with an insurance company, speak with an attorney to make sure that you are fully aware of the laws regarding your accident and how you should proceed.
Never assume that a friendly driver will follow through on promises to take care of the accident without involving insurance companies or lawyers.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident with a car, the experienced Racine car accident lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. have all the information you need to help appropriately handle your claim, and have a proven record of success should a lawsuit be necessary. Contact us by calling 800-242-2874 today for a free consultation.